The building was completed in 1842 and was initially known as the Assembly Rooms. In 1929, the building was bought by the Cooperative Society with the last public use of the Assembly Hall taking place in 1958, since when it has lain empty and unused. The whole building (ground and first floors) was listed in 1984. The clock is owned by the Parish Council which retains the right to enter the building to keep it wound. A report into the future use of the building was completed by architects in early 2008 with a recommendation that the building should be used as an arts, media, cultural and heritage venue. Since the report was completed the Trust has successfully managed to acquire a long term lease from the Co-op.